Kash's Eggless Indian style carrot cake recipe
1 heaped cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp soft butter (I used 2 tbsp ghee and 2 tbsp butter)
1-1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup chopped nuts - I used pistachios and pecans
1/4 cup sultanas
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
a large pinch of cardamom powder
1. Grease a 6" square pan. Preheat the oven to 180C(350F).
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a big bowl.
3. Add the ghee/butter yogurt and sugar and mix. The batter will be quite thick at this point.
4. Add the grated carrots, ginger, spices, nuts and sultanas.
5. Mix well. The moisture from the carrots should make the batter a little loose, but if it seems still too thick, add a little more yogurt and mix again.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a wet spatula or with your hand.
7. Bake at 180C for 40 minutes or till the cake tests done. Let the cake remain in the pan for 10 minutes.
8. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan, if required, and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
9. Cut into squares or rectangles when cool. Store in an airtight tin.